back to home
How to for Florida Conference News Network
- FCNN Resources - the "resources" part of your homepage
- FCNN footer nav - the smaller links in the footer
- FCNN main nav - the main nav at the top of the page
Here's what the fields mean
- Section - pick one that starts with "FCNN"
- Name - the text of the link itself
- Link - where the link goes - insite or offsite
- Open in a new window - click if it's offsite or it's a file
- Sort order - for the given section how it's to be ordered
Managing web pages
Watch this video to learn
Photo of the day
This is controlled under the console object that is called "WEBSITE FEATURES." It must be placed into the "FCNN Image feature" zone.
A "feature" is a way of you putting in an image, text and linking to something.
Here are relevant fields for you:
- Image - upload the image from your computer don't copy and paste an image URL.
The image must be 290px wide by 220px tall.
- Headline - This is going to populate what is on top of the image. Try to keep the text to only two lines.
- Hyperlink - put in here a link to whatever you are featuring - ex: news = /news/detail/id or pages = /pages/detail/id
Links to parts of your sites
The site has module or controllers for different functional areas. Here are the links
- News = /news and /news/detail/id
- Pages = /pages and /pages/detail/id
- Commentaries = /commentaries and /commentaries/detail/id
- Global Connection = /feeds
- Opportunities = /opportunities and /opportunities/detail/id
- Photo Galleries = /galleries and /galleries/detail/id
- Subscribe = /site/stayconnected
- Submit a story = to a page that submits a form to FCNN Stories
News is the NEWS console object. News fills the homepage and news homepage. Articles tagged with the "in brief" news subject do NOT appear in the image-rich parts of those pages.
Here's an explanation of the fields...
- Title - the title
- Body - the article
- Inset - Put images and/or media in here. Want a caption, put in and image then do SHIFT + RETURN to get a line break and drop in a caption. Put in as many as you want and they will float to the left. How do you get images in there? First upload them to the "galleries" then copy and paste from there into the inset or the body of the story
- Related Gallery - pick a gallery and it will drop in a random image from the gallery, a link to the gallery and a link to the image.
- Written date - when it was written
- Display from and to - if you want a delayed start of the story appearing or want it to disappear after a certain date. Optional and use sparingly.
- Homepage image - The image must be 395px wide by 300px tall. It feeds the main image and the thumbs on the homepage.
- Archive - Make is hidden everywhere in the site.
- Allow comments - turn on to allow user comments
- Comments require approval - check to make comments be approved by someone before they are live on the site.
- Subjects - Don't forget to give the news article a subject. Remember, make an article an "in brief" subject and it will NOT appear in the main, image-based areas of the homepage and news homepage.
We've made the "global connection" an RSS feeds consumer. Drop feeds into the object called EXTERNAL FEEDS and they will show on this page. Put in as many as you want.
Global Connection's homepage is: /feeds
Here are key fields
We brought all of your print-friendly pages into an object called FCNN ARCHIVE. This is available for searching and browsing at: /newsarchives
The main search engine will also search this table and it links to detail pages at: /newsarchives/detail/id
Allows you to create galleries/albums of images. Make a gallery and then upload images in bulk to it. Upload upload the image is converted and gives you three resulting sizes: "original," "medium" and "thumbnail."
Galleries have three way of showing themselves:
- As an "album" - a bunch of thumbnails on a page as a grid
- As a "slideshow" - each "medium" image that's gotten to one click after another
- Carousel - each thumbnail is shown below the "medium" image.
All the galleries are available at: /galleries
An individual gallery is available at: /galleries/detail/id
An individual image within a gallery is available at: /galleries/image/id
Content ideas for galleries within your site
- Make a gallery and store all the news images throughout the whole site within one or several galleries. For example, you could have a "News 2010" gallery
- Have a gallery for a particular news story. Have lots of photo for a particular story? Drop them all in the gallery and then link that within the news story.
- Galleries can be a different sizes - so need a gallery that resizes the thumbs and mediums differently, just have Brick River create a new gallery type for you.
Commentaries is basically just links to the blogs module. There are two key blog topics - Bishop Whitaker Commentaries and Guest Commentaries.
The main page of commentaries features the most recent commentary from the Bishop and then links to to the all commentaries.
Here are the key tables for blogs
- Weblog Entries - stores the posts
- Weblog Contributors - the "authors" of the posts
- Weblog Topics - the meta table of topics
Fields in Weblog Entries
- Contributor - the author. An idea: you could setup permissions if you want to allow contributors to only see their entries.
- Title - the title of the post
- Summary - shows on the main list page. If nothing is in here, the main list page will show the first X characters of the "Body" field.
- Body - the full post
- Turn this off - makes it invisible everywhere
- Date Written - the post date
- Attachments 1,2,3 - upload a file if you want and it will appear on the blog post detail page
- Allow Comments - click and the comments box will appear
- Comments require approval - click this and an email will first be sent the the approval person. This person is listed on a PER CONTRIBUTOR basis in the Weblog Contributors object.
- Weblog Topics - What the post is about. Be sure to note the two commentaries flavors - "Bishop" and "Guest."
News articles and blog posts can have commenting. By default, commenting is off on a per item basis. You can turn it on per post and then you can either require approval or not. If you don't require approval the user's comment will go live immediately. If you require approval, an email will be sent to the approval person before going live. Here are the approval people
- For blogs - the approval person is done per contributor and the email is in the Weblog Contributors object.
- For News - the approval person is for all news and that person/email is in the web.config file.
Opportunities is a module created just for you and is sort of a cross between events and blogs.
Available at: /opportunites for the index and /opportunities/detail/id for a specific posting.
It's in the FCNN OPPORTUNITIES object. Here are the key fields explained:
- Title - the title
- Start date - not required but if it's an event, you'd fill this in
- Description - The full body of the opportunity
- Display start and end - if you want to delay the start of when the opportunity shows or have it roll off after a certain date
- Inactive - makes it invisible
- Opportunity types - An entry can be associated with many types and those types appear in the column on the right.
Submit a story
We created a new object called FCNN STORIES to which these postings are saved. Upon submission, an email will be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and then it will be saved into the FCNN STORIES object. Go in there and find all stories where "reviewed" = "no"
The main search searches these objects:
- FCNN archive
- blogs (commentaries)
- photo galleries
- photos in photo galleries (images will be shown in the result)
UMNS and UMR feeds
These are RSS feeds that are consumed on your homepage
FLUMC in the news
This is still to be determined