Managing Web Pages
All the existing pages in Brick River are displayed as a sitemap with a collapsible tree view of the site's pages. All site pages are child pages of the site homepage - which Brick River creates when a layout is linked to a new site.
Step 1 - Open Page Editor
- On the top menu, click Site->Demo and select the link to your website. This will open a sitemap which displays your site pages. By default, all top-level pages appear as links on your site's menu bar. If a page has child pages, they will be displayed to users on a drop-down menu when they click the parent page link on the menu.
- Expand and collapse sitemaps as necessary, and click the desired page name to edit it. Based on our example above, the Homepage link opens the Page Editor window.
- Design: Click on the Design tab to edit page contents using a WYSIWYG editor. This requires linking to a layout that included the @RenderBody() and @RenderSection(), Helpers, to create the desired editable sections of the page.
- Source: Click on the Source tab to write straight code to design the page. Brick River is optimized for designers to store site design in layouts and compose page source code to generate dynamic content using custom razor helpers. It is sometimes useful to do a portion of the page design in straight source code - but also include editable areas that non-designers can use to make basic edits using the design tab.
- Properties: Click on the Properties tab to manage a few basic page properties.
- Layout: Click on this drop-down to choose a layout that may be linked to the page. This field allows you to change the layout linked to the current page. Since our simple example is a simple HTML block, the design window simply displays the contents of the layout.
- Save, Publish, Sitemap: Click on these buttons to save changes without publishing changes to the web or publish to apply changes and publish changes to the web. Click sitemap to return to the sitemap for the current site.
- Editing Tools: Use these tools to enter and format text.
- Editable Sections: Place the cursor in any editable area to enter and update content. Depending on the background color of the page the border indicating editable sections is not always visible. Clicking in the vicinity of an editable area should enable the section border and place the cursor in the editable sections
Step 2- Create New Pages
- Click on the plus icon next to the page link to create a new page.
- The new page link creates a page as a child page of the current page. Use the link on the Homepage level to create the site's highest level parent pages - and links on those pages to create children accordingly.
- New Pages are created in an unpublished status. Changes to pages can be saved - but changes will not be rendered and visible in a browser until the page is published. Publishing a page will automatically save any changes made since the last save. In the sitemap, published status is indicated with a green checkbox icon